Co-opportunity: Join Up for a Sustainable, Resilient, Prosperous World
Author: John Grant
Hardcover; 350 pages
Published in March 2010 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Recommended Retail Price: US$27.95 / S$49.17 including GST
Available at all major bookstores
John Grant, the award winning author of The Green Marketing Manifesto, is back with his latest book called Co-opportunity, which explores “what co-operative solutions to sustainability challenges could look like.” He explains that the possibility to “co-operate may lead to a better human society”.
The book tackles five key sustainability challenges, introduces co-operative solutions through case examples in practice, and suggests tactics for application:
1. Creating a climate for change: Engaging the public to recognise the problems and take action together
… ideas about new forms of social organisation and campaigning, beyond passive media audiences.
2. Relocating the dreams: Going beyond consumerism and exploring a better future
… ideas about creating desire for brands, campaigns, movements that heal the world.
3. Making organisations accountable (and hence responsible for wellbeing): Being more transparent and taking responsibility
… ideas about new kinds of eco-label, social change campaigns or consumer co-operatives to create change through what they buy.
4. Economic resilience: Rethinking economic growth and switching to co-operative economic systems
… ideas for anything from restoring trust in banking, to a community scheme to support renewable energy.
5. Abundance rather than ‘lean and mean’: Shifting from productivity to wellbeing return on resources
… new ways of organising for service or supply systems – or equally use it to think differently about the design of the organisations themselves.