Reduce the Impact of Your Organisation’s Waste, Water and Transport Management
Besides considering the direct energy usage by your business, you should also look at waste, water and transport management as these activities also contribute to carbon emissions. Find out how your business manages waste, water and transport in your daily operations, and take steps to reduce the impact of these activities.
Waste minimisation helps to conserve resources and reduce energy usage in the production, transportation, usage and disposal process. Visit the Zero Waste Singapore website to learn more about how you can Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Here are some tips:
- Design and Make Sustainable Products
- Eliminate the Excessive Use of Paper
- Conduct a Waste Audit
- Start Recycling at Work
The National Environment Agency (NEA) has published a Guidebook on Waste Minimisation for Industries to help companies reduce their waste and practise recycling. The guidebook contains information on how to conduct a waste audit, and also how to introduce a waste minimisation programme through tips and case studies.
Your organisation can also make use of the new 3R Fund by NEA to implement waste minimisation and recycling projects.
Energy is required for potable water and wastewater treatment and transport, so reducing the amount of water consumed and discharged will help to lower the energy needed.
Visit the following websites for tips to help your organisation conserve water and save money:
- Water Efficient Buildings programme by PUB
- The 10% Challenge by PUB
- Water Efficiency, Green Building Design Guide by BCA
Your organisation can also make use of the Water Efficiency Fund by PUB to explore efficient ways to manage your water consumption.
The organisation’s transport vehicles and the mode of commuting by employees contribute to carbon emissions. Here are some tips to help your organisation reduce transport emissions:
- Encourage or incentivise your employees to take public transport or carpool to work
- Arrange for company transport to ferry employees
- Use more videoconferencing to replace the need for business trips overseas
- Educate company drivers on good driving habits and maintenance of their vehicles
- Plan your transport needs to consolidate delivery orders and reduce delivery frequency
- Plan your driving journey to reduce driving time and distance
- Use more fuel efficient vehicles and green vehicles such as CNG vehicles, or use cleaner fuel such as biodiesel