Singapore’s Future Solar PV Strategies Conference

April 17, 2015 by  
Filed under Design and Tech

Solar Park at Marina Barrage

By Wang Meisi

The Energy Studies Institute organised a one-day conference which brought together experts from government agencies, research institutes and solar companies on a common discussion topic of the future of solar PV, internationally, regionally and locally.

The International Energy Agency (IEA) started the day with a comprehensive discourse on the trends in solar energy for the next few decades, outlining the fastest growth in capacity of both solar and wind energy in countries like China, Japan and USA. Outside of Europe and in emerging economies like Africa, there has been significant reduction in cost of capital, allowing speedy expansion of solar. Key elements to success in solar include good financing and PPAs (Power Purchasing Agreements). Read more

Panasonic’s Indoor Vegetable Farm to Enhance Singapore’s Food Security

August 4, 2014 by  
Filed under Design and Tech

Salad roll with bagna dressing

Panasonic Factory Solutions Asia Pacific (Panasonic) recently announced its first indoor vegetable farm in Singapore, which started the pilot supply of locally-harvested vegetables to Japanese restaurant, Ootoya.

Farming in Singapore is constrained by land and only 8% of vegetables consumed are grown in local farms. Panasonic hopes to enhance Singapore’s food security by increasing the self-sufficiency level for leafy vegetables through its new indoor vegetable farm. The company targets to increase its contribution to local production from the current 0.015% to 5% by March 2017. Read more

Turning E-Mobility in Asia into a Reality

Electromobility

Volker Blandow, Head of e-mobility at TÜV SÜD AG, one of the world’s leading providers of integrated testing, inspection and certification services to e-mobility manufacturers, looks at e-Mobility in Asia, questioning its viability while addressing the greatest challenges around the widespread adoption of electric powered vehicles (e-vehicles).

The world entered a new era of transportation history in December 2012, when the number of vehicles on the roads reached an unprecedented level of over 1 billion globally. There is no sign of slowdown, with more than 65 million new vehicles produced in 2013 alone, and the total number of vehicles on the road is expected to hit 1.7 billion by 2035, with growth stemming from China[1]. Read more

Insights, Challenges and Solutions for the Water Industry

Mr Jean-Philippe FilholWhat are the challenges for the water industry and how would it evolve in the future? What are some of the innovative water management technologies and initiatives?

To find out the answers, Green Business Singapore recently interviewed Mr Jean-Philippe Filhol, CEO Asia Industrial, Veolia Water Technologies, to hear his thoughts and insights.

1) How is Veolia Water Technologies contributing towards improvements in water management within Asia?

As one of the leading providers of water treatment solutions in the industry, Veolia has developed an array of solutions and sustainability tools to help companies solve their water challenges efficiently, and to improve their profitability without neglecting the impact of their business activities on the environment. Read more

More to water than what meets the eye

April 11, 2014 by  
Filed under Design and Tech

This article is contributed by Jean-Marc Vesselle, Global Head of Liquid Purification Technologies (LPT) Business Unit, LANXESS

Water drop 7 by macleod

About 97 per cent of water on earth’s surface is seawater. The remaining 3 per cent which is fresh water is fragmented in the form of frozen ice-caps, rivers, lakes, and water found underground in Earth’s crust (also known as groundwater). Of this less than 1 per cent is easily accessible for consumption, making only a fraction of water supply in the world available for human use [1].

The shortage of clean water for both industrial and personal consumption is thus a complex issue for governments, corporations and individuals. Many governmental and non-profit organizations in the world today, run multiple awareness programmes to address the prevailing and increasingly crucial issues surrounding this topic. In fact, since 1993, the United Nations (UN) has officially designated an annual ‘World Water Day’ on March 22 to raise international awareness of key water-related issues faced by the world’s population today. This year, ‘Water and Energy’ is the main focus. Read more

Next Page »